Please phone the shop to book classes and check availability - 01786 462 993
Dressmaking with Christine Finlayson 10am-4pm £50
These workshops are tailored to suit your needs. Get back to the basics, learning the most up to date methods for doing markings, darts, zips and the easiest pocket welt ever. Learn how to take the measurements you require to choose the correct size of pattern. Make and fit a toile before making up the garment of your choice. The procedures covered in our successful course last year included pattern drafting for jackets, skirts and a bodice block the basis for dresses and tops. Christine will contact each student before the class to arrange a timetable and requirements.
- Friday 10th November FULL
- Saturday 18th November FULL
- Saturday 9th December FULL
- Saturday 27th January FULL
- Saturday 17th February FULL
- Saturday 24th February FULL
- Saturday 16th March
- Saturday 23rd March FULL
- Friday 19th April
- Saturday 20th April
- Friday 26th April FULL
- Saturday 27th April
Get to Know your Sewing Machine with Gill McBride 10am-4pm £50
You have bought the machine but what about using it to its full potential? In this class you will find out about all the stitches on your machine - from the humble straight stitch to satin stitch, appliqué and the fun of free motion work.
- Friday 16th February 2024
- Friday 17th May 2024
- Friday 30th August 2024
- Friday 22nd November 2024
Learn to use an Overlocker with Gill McBride 10am - 4pm. £50
If you have an overlocker this course is a must for you. The course covers: threading, threads, needles, cleaning, which stitch to use for what and how to balance the tensions. You will learn how to do a rolled hem, gather fabric and find out how to go around corners. On the day you will make a child's jumper to illustrate the techniques you have learned.
There is an additional cost of £10 to be given to Gill on the day to cover the cost of fabric used.
- Friday 8th March 2024 FULL
- Friday 20th September 2024
Working with Stretch on a Sewing Machine with Gill McBride 10am - 4pm. £50
For the day you will need:
- A t-shirt pattern. See the suggestions below and either use one of them or try and find a similar pattern. If you are not sure about your pattern choice, contact Gill with your alternative suggestions to ensure that it is suitable for the workshop day.
- Jersey fabric, suitable for A T-shirt or top. A cotton jesrsey mix is good.
- Thread, pins, fabric scissors etc
- Stretch needle and twin needle
Optional (for making pattern alterations):
- Pattern tracing paper, paper scissors
- French curve - if you have one
- Fine liner pen, pencil, soft rubber
On the day,you will learn about techniques for working with jersey and other stretch fabrics and then in the afternoon you will make a simple top with your purchased fabric.
- Sew House Seven - Tabor V-neck Top
- Liesl & Co - Chai Tee
- Simplicity - S8892 and S8950
- Newlook - 6556
- McCalls -6964
If you have any questions, email Gill at firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Whether or not you finish making your t-shirt on the day, will depend very much on your own level of sewing ability!
- Friday 12th April 2024
- Friday 25th October 2024